Tuesday, November 16, 2010

World Maps

To those who know me, it is no secret that I am geographically challenged.  It's not that I wasn't asked to memorize various maps in junior high, including maps of the U.S. and Europe, but for some reason nothing stuck.  The only reason I could navigate NYC relatively well was because most of Manhattan is on a numbered grid of streets.  Yes, I often get lost in San Francisco.  Mr. CP finds this shortcoming both amusing and frustrating.

I've been saying for years that when I have children...there will be one big world map in their room.  If they ever wonder where a particular country is, they can go look for it right away for reinforcement...and if all else fails, at least they can hopefully learn something through osmosis.  The trick of course will be to find a map that is both educational and attractive enough to keep on the wall for years to come.

This map from the Future Mapping Company features metallic silver seas and beautiful corals and greens...pretty.
These Are Things prints world maps in 4 colorways.  Rust (shown above) is my favorite.  This map has a less detail than the one above, but has a cleaner look.

Using large world maps is a great way to add something to your walls without committing to wallpaper.  Though for those of you who really love maps, the Future Mapping Company and some others can customize a world map into wallpaper for the size of your wall. 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm running out of gocco screens, where do you get your screens from? I'm wondering if i've hit a dead end :( YOUR CARDS ARE AWESOME BY THE WAY!

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! I would love to hear from you!